Monday, February 4, 2008

The startling origin of Dork Dad!

I'm a dork. At various times, I've also been a geek, a nerd, and a spaz, among other things.

Being a dork used to cause me great anguish, but recently, I've been learning to use my powers for the good of mankind.

Granted, a lot of that anguish was negated by the fact that I married a gorgeous brunette and had children, but everywhere I go, I tend to feel out of place, like a lightsaber at a Star Trek convention.

Now where my super powers come into play is dealing with my 4-year-old son, Dork Lad. Like his dad, Dork Lad isn't quite like the other kids, and you know what, that's totally okay. I'm realizing it's not about what's right, or what "normal" is. It's how we are, and how we can use that knowledge to better adapt to our surroundings.

The better I understand how my brain works, the better I can help my son. He's not exactly like me, luckily for him, but we have enough in common that you can tell we're father and son, even without matching capes.

I just want to do the best I can in training him before he leaves the Dork Cave and goes out in the world. And as much as I teach him, he's going to be teaching me.

This blog is a record of our education.

No comments: